Top Ten Tuesday is brought to you by The Broke and the Bookish.
This week’s topic is: Ten Fairytale Retellings I’ve Read/Want To Read.
Fairytale/Myth/Legend Retellings I’ve Read:
- The Bloody Chamber by Angela Carter (Based on Bluebeard) – I read this a few years ago, and again this year, and Carter does such a wonderful retelling of this folktale as she subverts the story and has the mother save her daughter from the murderous Bluebeard instead of her brother.
- Little Red-Cap by Carol Ann Duffy (Based on Little Red Riding Hood) – This is one of my favourite Duffy poems. It’s from her collection The World’s Wife which is full of poems that retell myths and events from the perspective of women.
- Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (Based on Cinderella) – I read this book a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I only bought it because I enjoyed the film adaptation.
- The Lady of Shalott by Alfred, Lord Tennyson (Based on Arthurian Legend) – This is another poem that I really love. Tennyson has some other poems based on Arthurian legends too, Galahad and Sir Lancelot and Queen Guinevere. This poem can be found in collections of Tennyson’s works.
Fairytale/Myth/Legend Retellings I Want to Read:
- The Child Thief by Gerald Brom (Based on Peter Pan) – This is a dark retelling of Peter Pan (the original is a dark story anyway) and I’ve been wanting to read it since I last read Peter and Wendy last year.
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas (Based on Beauty and the Beast) – This one has been on my TBR for just a few months.
- The Once and Future King by T. H. White (Based on Arthurian Legend) – This book is a bit of a classic and though it might be a bit outdated I still want to read it.
- Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson (Based on Peter Pan)