These are the reading challenges that I’m taking part in during 2016.
2016 Goodreads Challenge
I’m taking part in the Goodreads Reading Challenge again in 2016. In 2015 I read 52 books, surpassing my 50 book goal. This year I aim to read 60 books.
2016 Classics Challenge
I’ve signed up for the 2016 Classics Challenge hosted by Pretty Books. I’m planning to read 1 classic per month and I will be doing a post/review on each book after I’ve read it. These are the classics that I want to read (in the order I want to read them):
- The Monk by Matthew Lewis
- Zofloya by Charlotte Dacre
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- The Vampyre by John Polidori
- The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Steveson
- Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- Animal Farm by George Orwell
- Les Misérables by Victor Hugo
- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
- A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
I would love to read more Classics than these though so I will try to read more than 12.
2016 Prompt Challenge
I’ve devised my own monthly book challenge for 2016 based on prompts. The prompts are as follows:
- Read a book that has been on my TBR for over 2 years
- Read a book by an author I’ve never read before
- Read a book that was given to me by my parents
- Read an epic poem
- Read a book that was published in the year I was born (1994)
- Read a book that was published this year (2016)
- Read a book that was published before 1900
- Read a book that was originally written in another language and has been translated to English
- Read a book with a one word title
- Read a book with 500+ pages
- Read a book that was once banned in the UK
- Read a book that is set during Christmas
On the first day of each month from January to November I’ll pick a random prompt. However, the December prompt is set because I want to read a Christmas book in December.
2016 Re-read Challenge
I’m planning on re-reading a few series’ in 2016. They are:
- Harry Potter by J. K. Rowling (7 books)
- The Millennium Series by Stieg Larsson (3 books)
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan (5 books)
That’s a total of 15 re-reads in 2016.
2016 When Are You Reading? Challenge
Hosted by Sam @ Taking on a World of Words
The only rule is to read a book set (or published if you can’t tell when it’s set) within each of these eras. Pre-1500 to 1900 will be easy for me since I’m an Early Modern English Literature student who is also taking a module in Gothic literature. Post 1900 might be a nightmare.
- Pre 1500
- The Future
I know that some of the challenges will overlap but I’m fine with that.