This is just a quick explanation of how I review books and the ratings I give them.
I do review ARCs and I mainly request them through NetGalley. Please use my contact form if you want me to read and review your book.
The details I include in a review are:
Date of my edition
Date of original publication
Publisher of my edition
Pages in my edition
When I started and completed the novel
Summary (usually taken from the book itself or from goodreads)
I generally ask myself some questions when I’m reviewing a book to help me explain what I liked and disliked about the book. Some of these include:
- What is the writer’s style? Is the book a slow read, a quick read, or a mixture?
- What are the characters like? How well are the characters written? Is there a diverse range of characters? Are they stereotypes?
- What are the major themes of the novel?
- What are the major plot points? Are there any plot holes?
- Did I enjoy this book? Would I change anything?
- Would I recommend this book? Who would I recommend it to?
My ratings are a bit odd. I mark on a range from 1 to 5 with half marks available between 3 and 5. These are the explanations of my ratings:
- Unrated – I read less than 50% of this book and therefore feel that I am unable to rate it.
- 1 – Very Bad. I intensely disliked this book and I would not recommend it.
- 2 – Bad. I disliked this book although it may have one or two good qualities. I would not recommend it.
- 3 – Average. I liked certain aspects of this book but disliked others and there was a fairly even balance of both. I may recommend it to certain people.
- 3.5 – Good. I generally liked this book but disliked some aspects. I would probably recommend this book.
- 4 – Very Good. I really enjoyed this book but there are just one or two aspects that I disliked. I would recommend this book.
- 4.5 – Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed this book but there is perhaps one small aspect that I disliked or felt indifferent to. I would definitely recommend this book.
- 5 – Perfect. This is one of my favourite books and I can’t find any faults with it. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this book to everyone.
If you have any questions then please ask me!
If you want to contact me about your book then please use the contact form I have made available. Thank you 🙂