This is just a quick explanation of how I review books and the ratings I give them.
I am currently accepting requests for reviews but I no longer use Netgalley to request ARCs. If you’d like me to review your book then please use the contact form provided on my ‘about me’ page. I usually need at least two weeks to read and review a book due to my heavy workload at university
The details I include in a review are:
Date of my edition
Date of original publication
Publisher of my edition
Pages in my edition
When I started and completed the novel
Summary (usually taken from the book itself or from goodreads)
I generally ask myself some questions when I’m reviewing a book to help me explain what I liked and disliked about the book. Some of these include:
- What is the writer’s style? Is the book a slow read, a quick read, or a mixture?
- What are the characters like? How well are the characters written? Is there a diverse range of characters? Are they stereotypes?
- What are the major themes of the novel?
- What are the major plot points? Are there any plot holes?
- Did I enjoy this book? Would I change anything?
- Would I recommend this book? Who would I recommend it to?
My ratings are a bit odd. I mark on a range from 1 to 5 with half marks available between 3 and 5. These are the explanations of my ratings:
- Unrated – I read less than 50% of this book and therefore feel that I am unable to rate it.
- 1 – Very Bad. I intensely disliked this book and I would not recommend it.
- 2 – Bad. I disliked this book although it may have one or two good qualities. I would not recommend it.
- 3 – Average. I liked certain aspects of this book but disliked others and there was a fairly even balance of both. I may recommend it to certain people.
- 3.5 – Good. I generally liked this book but disliked some aspects. I would probably recommend this book.
- 4 – Very Good. I really enjoyed this book but there are just one or two aspects that I disliked. I would recommend this book.
- 4.5 – Excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed this book but there is perhaps one small aspect that I disliked or felt indifferent to. I would definitely recommend this book.
- 5 – Perfect. This is one of my favourite books and I can’t find any faults with it. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend this book to everyone.
If you have any questions then please ask me either using my contact form or in the comments below.